Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Independent Study - 'Soul'


My independent study is a digital painting I've created in Paint tool SAI. Having had downloaded a new square brush with the whispy effect I desired, I found it ideal as a medium with which to paint. I've titled this piece 'Soul', as the emotion I am trying to convey is mainly spiritual and representational of human development. This painting is largely surreal though the figure is clearly anthropomorphic. My goal was to present the figure as being as flame like as possible, so as to stand out against the dark background as much as possible. A flame is often used as symbolism as one's passage of life, as a flame is begins small, burns more brightly, and eventually can be snuffed out. This fragility and uncertainty was what I hoped to get across in the positioning and posture of the figure, though I feel I could have pushed this further. Overall, I am pleased with the outcome of this work and the abstract flecks of light present throughout the piece, giving it the appearance of texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment